2019 MarTech Landscape Supergraphic is Out!
Each year since 2011, Scott Brinker at chiefmartec has released a graphic that he humorously describes as “maybe the most infamous slide in marketing.” This graphic forecasts the MarTech solutions available on the market by defining and categorizing companies by industry and subtype, attempting to bring order to the chaos that is this space. Here are the facts about the 2019 version:
- 7,040 MarTech solutions included
- 3% growth from 6,800 solutions in the 2018 edition
- down from 27% growth from 2017 to 2018 (are we reaching peak MarTech?)
Every marketer, technologist, and marketing ops pro has seen at least one version of this supergraphic over the years. It truly is the roadmap to our space. And if you’re like us, you’ve tried to find yourselves amidst the thousands of logos (there we are!).
McDonald’s Has Entered the Data Space
Yep, you read that right. The fast-food food conglomerate made waves throughout the tech industry in late March when they announced the purchase of Dynamic Yield Ltd., an Israeli tech company specializing in personalization and decision logic technology. As per their official statement, McDonald’s plans to utilize this decision technology to provide an even more personalized customer experience with:
- Varying outdoor menu displays to show food based on time of day, weather, current restaurant traffic and trending menu items
- Suggest and display additional items to a customer’s order based on their current selections
- Integration into all of its digital customer experience touchpoints, such as self-order kiosks and McDonald’s Global Mobile App
This $300 million dollar investment signifies McDonald’s expansion into the tech space, the first of its kind for a foodservice retail company of their magnitude. This acquisition also marks an important shift in the MarTech space. We will likely see an uptick in Fortune 500 companies embracing technology in new and exciting ways.
The Future of MarTech: experts share their thoughts
Is a more personalized customer experience the next big thing? Have we reached peak MarTech with the steep decline in landscape growth? Will there be a big change in the way we process and manage data? Here are some insights from across the web:
- 3 trends driving the Second Golden Age of Martech: ecosystems, experts, and (citizen) engineers
- The Changing Role Of The CMO In The Age Of Customer Experience
- Hello peak martech: 2019 Marketing Technology Landscape growth slows for first time