Salesforce data migration is defined as the process of moving Salesforce data to other platforms where required. The migration is an opportunity to cleanse the data and the data should demonstrate the following characteristics:
- Complete- All necessary details should be contained for all users
- Relevant- What the information needs should be included
- Accuracy- Details contained should be accurate
- Timeliness- Data should be available when you need it
- Accessibility- Data should be accessible whenever we need it
- Validity- Correct format required
- Reliability- Data should contain authentic information
- Uniqueness- No record duplicates should exist
To achieve these standards, the data often needs to be in a single repository where it becomes easy to update, validate and back up the data. Therefore, it makes sense to perform Salesforce migration to create a single repository of data. There are a number of ways by which Salesforce data can be migrated but the process requires many skills across a range of disciplines. Knowledge of Salesforce database management systems and connecting technologies is also a must. The process requires patience and proper care to migrate heavy amounts of Salesforce data.
Things To Consider Before You Move Data with Salesforce
- 1-User mapping is important before you start. You should clearly understand that how the user IDs of the existing system match those of new system. It is critical to make sure that the record ownership is set up correctly in the new system.
- 2-Revisit the organization-wide defaults and existing profiles. These are foundations of security and safe Salesforce migration.
- 3-Make sure that you have a couple of licenses available for the old instance for a few months after the cut over date. If after migration you face any issues, you can go to the old instance and investigate the issues.
- 4-Keep watch on the space you are consuming. When you move additional data to a system it is important to consider space. Ask your Salesforce representative to buy extra space in the new system.
- 5-It is important to consider the order of insertion when you insert records in a new system. For example, you insert accounts first and then all the contacts so that the relationships between these two objects are set properly.
- 6-It is very important to plan out the Salesforce migration first so that the users are well informed about the cut-off date and possible issues which may occur. It is a good idea to have pilot users test the migration for some period of time.
- 7-Before you roll out the instance to others, be prepared to perform testing as a developer and perform sanity testing directly with Salesforce.
- Salesforce data migration is an important task required for providing effective data solutions to an organization. It must be performed carefully without affecting the quality of data in the system.